Thursday, March 4, 2010

Falls and Crosses

As I was walking into my office building today I saw a woman and small girl walking hand in hand. I assume they were mother and daughter, but who can really know these things?

The girl was wearing a puffy pink jacket and a knit hat with tassels on it. Out of nowhere, she fell.

Immediately, of course, she started wailing. The woman helped her up and inspected her hands. "Stop screaming!" she instructed. "You have nothing, you have nothing!"

I guess this woman doesn't know that not all pain is physical and visual. That the fact that the world can just lead you to fall without any reason or fault of your own can hurt just as much, if not more, than scrapes or blood.

Still, wailing about it is never attractive. Especially when you're not a little girl anymore. I must remember this.

I wonder if that little girl even remembers her fall right now, or if she's content and happy in pre-K making macaroni necklaces, her trauma completely forgotten, her hair full of static from her pink hat and her not even caring. And here I am... here I am.

I got in my cross training yesterday and then some. This marathon is perhaps the best thing I have going for me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment